Tuesday, May 17, 2011

You Can Make It! Freezer Jam Tutorial

I apologize for my bloggy absence. I blame blogger. I wanted to make sure they had their act together before I spent any more time doing this.

So. Jam. :)

I've been watching and waiting for the strawberries to hit $1 per pound. I'd almost given up. The last container of jam from last season was in the fridge and I was worried I would either have to go back to store bought slime or pay way too much for strawberries. And I'd rather pay too much for berries. Then there they were! WOOHOO! As soon as they are $1 per pound I buy at least a dozen, sometimes two dozen, and make jam.

Between the two of us Sam and I processed about 36 lbs of berries in to about 92 cups of delicious homemade jam in about 3.5 hours. Time consuming? Maybe. Worth it. ABSOLUTELY. Of course you don't have to work in such huge quantities but since each of us have four small monsters and half of them pack lunch to school each day we go through jam at a pretty rapid click...

Okay, here we go...

You'll need fruit. In this instance we used strawberries. I've done raspberries (delicious and super easy-wash and mash and you're ready), kiwis (which will make a six year old girl cry because they make green jam. Go figure. Kiwi jam also doesn't set as firmly as some of the others. But it's still good), peaches (SOOOO much work. Peeling, pitting and chopping, but still so much better than store bought), and plums (which I did not peel, just pitted and chopped and it was really good). You're really only limited by your imagination here. Raspberry-Peach jam is good, so is Strawberry-Kiwi. I saw a recipe somewhere for Pineapple Upside-Down Cake jam and it looked amazing... So obtain fruit...


Did you know that large amounts of unprocessed strawberries will make your house smell less like a strawberry field than you might think? The smell is much closer to fruity diapers. You parents know what a I mean... it's kind of gross until you start chopping.

How much fruit you need depends on how much jam you intent to make, which is a decision shaped by how much of this you have on hand.


This is the instant stuff, which means no cooking. Cooking jam sucks. It's hot and sticky and gross. I accidentally bought the wrong pectin once and it was a mistake I will never make again. This jam cannot be set on a shelf in the pantry, it has to be kept cold. The pectin you buy is boss. Follow the directions and measurements on the package. These directions are only good for this product.

If you use the packets you'll need around two pounds per packet, and it'll make a hair more than 2c. of jam. If you use the big jar you can triple the batch each time (doing more than that could jeopardize the "set" of your jam) and you'll need around six pounds and you'll end up with about 7c. of jam. If you're going to make a lot skip the packets, they're a pain and the jars are sealed tighter so there are no pectin lumps.

Containers. This is freezer jam, so something with a good seal is important. That being said they don't have to be expensive. I like these, but they are sort hard to find. (They also make them half that size but like I said, we go through it fast.) When I can't find them I use the ziploc twist n seal type containers. Anything with a good seal is fine. Swish them around in hot soapy water and leave them on a towel to dry while you get started.

Sam and I were able to determine that for large batch jam processing it's better to have a team of three. Some one to wash and chop, some one to ladle jam into containers and set up for the next batch, and someone to stir.

So wash and chop your berries. They don't have to be super small, just halved or quartered if they are huge mutant berries.


Sam is a blur of motion.

I like to run mine through the food processor because I hate huge chunks in my jam almost as much as I hate huge nuts in my brownies. But feel free to use a potato masher on yours... chop or mash or whatever until you have the necessary amount of fruit for the batch you are doing, the measurements are on the pectin container. Always follow the measurements on the container you are holding in YOUR hand.

So, chop berries. Not into soup, some chunks are good.


Now get your pectin and sugar set up in one bowl and the appropriate amount of prepared fruit into another bowl.


This you can do one of two ways. I'm here to tell you that it doesn't matter which you pour into where. I opted to pour the fruit into the pectin/sugar mix here because that bowl was bigger, but I tried it the other way around too and it made no difference in the finished product. (Please note that the pectin and sugar are not mixed together in the above picture, they should be before you dump the fruit and you need to make sure than any pectin lumps have been obliterated.)

Now dump and stir.


This part went a lot faster after we made Dad help us. The package I had said to stir for three minutes, but follow the directions on your package. Jam making totally counts as exercise. Your arms will hurt tomorrow.

After stirring for however long the pectin says to ladle your jam into your clean containers.


Lid them up and let them sit for however long the pectin says to before putting them in the freezer. Yes, I usually put one straight into the fridge but don't eat it until the next day. Give it time to get totally set.



Again, you don't have to make this much. Six pounds of strawberries fill three and half of the containers with the green lids.

Admire your handiwork. Thanks to you when the world ends you'll be able to trade some jam with some of those people who store wheat. Everybody wins. :)



Yes, this is my only freezer. And yes, the top shelf is often full of jam.

Things to remember...

1. No matter what measurements or whatever I gave here the container of pectin you buy and hold in your hand is boss. Unless you have the exact same thing follow those directions and measurements.

2. Not all pectins are alike. Make sure you know what you are buying. I like this stuff... look for the words instant, and freezer. I got it at WalMart over by the kitchen stuff, not the grocery section... usually some where close to the aisle with the tupperware.

3. Buy more containers than you think you'll need. You can always return them later. Having to run to the store at 11:30 to buy more will totally cramp your jammy style. A triple batch makes about seven cups... plan accordingly.

4. This is easy. If you can cut, measure and stir you can do it.

5. Store bought jam, even the expensive kind, is gross. And this has WAY less sugar.

6. Yes, you can do this with Splenda BUT it won't set as firmly as the full sugar kind.

7. This is good on everything. Ice cream, cottage cheese... Mmmm.

Now. Go forth! Make jam! And let me know how it goes :)

No comments: