Friday, January 14, 2011

My Confession

 And now I've gone from having Aerosmith stuck in my head to having Josh Groban stuck in my head...

I love that through the magic of the interwebs I can write this post now (3 in the am on Thursday morning) and then save it. And then post it on Friday in time to link up with Mamarazzi and her fabulous Friday Confessional. Makes me feel all on the ball or something... it's weird. But I like it.

Photobucket

Earlier tonight I sat in a meeting with a group of women to plan activities for another group of women. Of course being that it is the beginning of a new year and all the direction of the plan for this month's activity almost immediately went to New Year's resolutions. Here is where I have a confession to make...

I don't make them.

I know me. I know that making a huge list of things that I should and need to be doing is probably the best way to get me to not to them. I also know that making a list of unattainable goals is also a good way to make me ever more depressed and mopey by the end of January than I usually am. So I'm not going to make a lofty list of crap I hope to get done this year.

But.

I do have a hope for this year.

I hope to end this year as a happier person than I ended last year.

The last part of last year was bad for me. I spent a lot of time throwing pity parties and being too tired and too unplugged to care about anything. I blamed the kids and the house and the list of stuff that doesn't get done for my bad attitude most of the time and I spent a lot of time wallowing. I had zero patience for anything or anybody (especially of the four foot and under set) and felt tired and overwhelmed most of the time. And while I am sure some of that crap was justifiably hormonal (new baby and all) I know that a good deal of it was just laziness on my part. So all I hope for this year... is to be a happier person than I was last year.

SO... here it is.

I hope to be able to find the presence of mind to stop myself mid-mope, mid-pity party, mid-pyscho rant, or mid-Mom explosion and give myself a time out. Literally. I put the kids on time out when their attitudes need adjusting and I am constantly telling Pinky she "Has five minutes to get over it and then we aren't going to hear about it anymore." Mayhaps I should practice what I preach.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

I love this non-resolution. One time I was reading one of my daughter books about how this girl had lost her bear...she was looking for it all day, here, there, and everywhere...finally in frustration she threw a hissy fit temper tantrum....the line goes something like this "I was mad because I still hadn't found my bear, so I cried and I kicked and I screamed, Mom didn't stop me, Dad didn't stop me, sister didn't stop me, so I stopped myself." Sometimes I think we rely on others when it is up to us. We definitely have the choice to choose our reactions. I wish you the best of luck in your time-outs. Have a happy new year indeed. :)

Rachel said...

I love "time outs" I think as moms we need them too. My teens laugh at me when I tell them I am taking a time out so leave me alone for 40 mins. Well that is how old I am and I get one minute for each year :)

Sami said...

I really like this! I think we should be accountable to each other when we're feeling mopey too. We can each be the "mean mom" for each other.
I would like to end this year happier than I did last year too!

On another note...perhaps your disdain for resolutions stems from your trouble with authority. You never have been one to enjoy being told what to do...even if YOU are the one telling you to do it!