Tuesday, November 2, 2010

I Made It! ...Again...

And I am still not sure I love it.

I like it more this morning than I did when I finished it last night. So that's something...

Remember this?

Ta da!

I think it may need something. Not sure what...but something.

I still hate the white paper in the background, I really wish I had done it on something else. I used more muted papers this time, the turquoise paper from last time was too much.

This one took about twice as long as the other one did... and it will be the last one of these I make.

I really love this little bird.


So the verdict is quilling is a HUGE pain in the butt. I wouldn't try to do it without the tools. Make sure you have a quick drying glue. Sketch your design out before hand and be prepared to spend HOURS cursing at little strips of paper.

I'm thinking maybe some little leaves...or some small green pearls glued in a few places...not sure. Any ideas?

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love it. I'm going to have to try it. Thanks for getting me interested in another craft. It's not like I have enough craft stuff.

I think a few little leaves here and there and/or the green pearls would look great. maybe a few of both?

Dad said...

Well, nothing was jumping out at me as needing to be different, but I wanted to be helpful so I started looking at other examples of this stuff online. The best work I saw was at http://www.artyulia.com/index.php/Illustration/PAPERgraphic/ and I started looking at two or three of them in particular to try and see if I could come up with ideas.

One thing I noticed is that in your first try, the swirls in yours had 10-20 loops, whereas the swirls in this latest version have 1-2 loops, if it ends in a complete loop at all. Looking through a bunch of hers, most of her loops end with about 3-4 loops, sometimes only 1 or 2. Now I wouldn't want to recommend redoing any of the lines you have already done, but maybe you could put more lines and loops inside the letter C, but instead of the 10-20 layers, only 4-5 per piece of paper. That would give the letter C more color without looking "too tightly wound." ;) The nice thing about this is that you could probably try it out without doing any gluing, until you knew if it was working or not.

The other option I see is maybe to add a few little leaves, and then to fill in the background of the leaves and the letter C with a solid color. On page 4 of the gallery I linked to, there is one that says LOOK GOOD. Something like that maybe?

These are just ideas, and I think you did a great job and it looks awesome. :D